August 25, 2010

Fifth Time's a Charm

You know those nights where you just want a snack and keep checking your refrigerator over and over again only to find the same random group of food items each time? That was me last night. After the fifth crack of cool air (partially because I wanted to curl up in a ball and just hang out in the fridge to escape this uncharacteristic heatwave taking over San Francisco) I solved the equation.

I had tortillas, celery, a bunch of mint, a bag of mixed Italian cheeses, and a whole slew of condiments staring back at me. I though to myself, "Well the only option would be a quesadilla, but those Italian cheeses would be bland and weird-tasting with my expired bottle of Taco Bell mild sauce."* Sadly, I've run out of real salsa and thought this was my last resort until I reached into the bottomless pit that is my condiments shelf (I have an entire collection, see below). I pulled out a small jar of barely used cherry jam I had made late last year. So it goes, I made this random but delicious combination of salty and sweet. It hit the spot with a dollop of sour cream. I could see this being even more awesome with some goat cheese smeared in there or if you're being fancy, layering the cheese with some caramelized onions.

*Sure, I use quotations because really, I was having a conversation in my head. No, I'm not crazy.**
**Okay, maybe a little since I have a full size bottle of expired Taco Bell mild sauce still sitting in my fridge.

I need to get to a real grocery store stat.
Oh and Happy Birthday Mom!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment