August 20, 2010

Blueberry Crumble

My favorite produce season is here! Berries have taken over my corner market along with stone fruits and figs of all colors. As a kid I would beg my mom to stop at the strawberry stands along side Carmel Valley Road on the way to the beach. A few times it worked, and I'd go home and eat the entire 3 boxes overloaded with strawberries. Once, I even broke out in a huge red rash and was told I'd OD'ed on strawberries and consumed too much vitamin C. Thinking back, it seems ridiculous but to 11 year old Julie, it was worth it. Carlsbad strawberries still hold true as my favorite summer produce right alongside blueberries. I love blueberries on their own and for the variety of things you can do with them. 
Just this summer I've made heaps (using new Kiwi slang here) of baked goods using blueberries: muffins, almond financiers, and crumbles such as these ones. Crumbles are the simplest of desserts and once you read over my easy recipe, you'll never need to look one up again.

Blueberry Crumble
Ingredients: 
For Blueberry Filling:
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 Tbs. brown sugar (add more if your blueberries are particularly tart)
1 Tbs. regular sugar (again, add more if your blueberries are particularly tart)
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. flour

Directions: Gently mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl until blueberries are evenly coated. 

For Topping:
2 Tbs. Granola (I used this because I had it on hand..makes for a delicious crunchy topping! You can use rolled oats instead
1 1/2 tablespoons of cold butter cut into small chunks
1 Tbs. flour
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. regular sugar

Directions: Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix/cut in butter pieces. I use my fingers to break the butter into smaller pieces. See photo for details on how large the pieces should be(a little smaller than pea-sized). Once finished, put blueberries into a baking dish (I made two individual sized portions) and sprinkle on topping mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until the blueberries are bubbling and topping is golden brown. 

Tip: Feel free to change up the amount of sugar or add any spices you wish (cinnamon would be great with these). You can also use this recipe for any other kind of crumble. ie. apple, peach, nectarine, blackberry. 

Spoon FTW!

No comments :

Post a Comment