January 26, 2011

Corn Black Bean Salad

 Looking back at the past few posts(minus those pancakes), you'd think I was eating the healthiest of meals everyday. Mostly vegetarian, low-cal, packed with fruit and veg. The problem lies in this jar of nutella I bought about a month ago. At the time I thought sure, I can have just one tiny spoonful a day and I'll be set for my sweet fix. Well gradually that has turned to a large spoonful to two large spoonfuls...to slathering a quarter of the jar on whole wheat toast.
Luckily for my thighs, the jar will soon be empty and I'll hopefully be left with just the wholesome meals I've been cooking to keep me satisfied. 

I served this salad along side grilled fish tacos and as a snack with some yucca chips I found at Trader Joe's. Give this a try and mix it up by adding any vegetables you have on hand(ie. tomatoes, green onions, or avocados). Or make it a meal in itself by the addition of more black or whole pinto beans. 

Corn Black Bean Salad 
Ingredients:
1 15 ounce can corn, drained
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple
2 teaspoons chopped serrano or jalapeño, minced (more if you can handle the heat)
1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
2 limes, juiced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/8 teaspoon cumin
a pinch of garlic powder

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix gently until everything is evenly distributed. Taste for seasoning and serve!

No comments :

Post a Comment